Just on the weekend I went down to Melbourne to take part in an annual theatre conference - NATPAC - where members of Scout-based theatre shows came together to share their ideas and stories, and also see a few other shows that were happening in Melbourne. Make that three
Scout shows in Melbourne performing - Camberwell Showtime at Hawthorn (about 7.3 kilometres / 4.6 miles east of Melbourne's city centre), Whitehorse Showtime in Nunawading [pronounced Nun
-ing] (about 24 kilometres / 15 miles east of Melbourne's city centre) and South Metro Showtime in Clayton (about the same distance, but down another road).
As for the flights, I decided to try for a business class upgrade just for the experience.
Well, "experience" doesn't really cut what happened for both flights.
Long story short:SATURDAY
- Just as I left home for Sydney's airport, was told 8:30 flight was cancelled, put on 10am flight
- I said, PUT ME ON AN EARLIER FLIGHT [FOOLS]!!, put on to 8am flight
- 8am flight delayed for - ironically - 8:30am
- Eventually left at 8:50am
- Holding pattern outside of Melbourne for another 20 minutes - don't knock Melbourne's weather until you've been there!
- Just as I left the last show, ANOTHER text that my 8pm Sydney flight was delayed. (Not cancelled this time! )
- Thought I should've booked for an earlier flight. Still, quick time to relax. Or worry.
- Got back into Sydney just after 10:15pm
On the plus side, you do get good food and service in Business Class. But I think I'll stick to Economy (Coach) next time.